As the sport world mourns the death of former Nigerian player and coach, Stephen Keshi, who died in the early hours of today from a cardiac arrest. Tributes continue to pour in for the late football icon across the globe.
Check Out some amazing facts you probably never knew about Stephen Okechukwu Keshi.
– Stephen Keshi was born on the 23rd of January 1962 in Azare, Bauchi State.
– Keshi played a major part of his club careers with Belgian clubs like – Anderlecht, Jupiler League, RWDM etc
– Keshi Returned to the United States to begin his education in coaching.
– Stephen Keshi was appointed the Head coach of Junior Eagles in 2001 African Youth Championship which served as the qualification for the 2001 FIFA World Youth Championship.
– Stephen Keshi won the Africa Cup of Nations both as a player and coach. Egypt’s Mahmoud El-Gohary is the only other player with this record.
– In 2013, Keshi set a new record by being the first African coach to successfully qualify two African nations (Nigeria and Togo) to the world cup finals.
– Also in 2013, Keshi helped Nigeria win the Nations Cup trophy and secured world cup qualifications in the same year.
– Keshi was married to his wife Kate for 33years before she died of cancer on the 10 December, 2015.The union produced four children.
– Stephen Keshi started his football career at the age of 20. Had 64 caps for the Nigerian team and ended his national team career in 1995.