Last week the freedom for the 21 Chibok girls released by the Boko Haram sect was as dramatic as their abduction over two years ago.
President Buhari and Vice president, Yemi Osinbajo in a group photo with the 21 freed Chibok Girls after receiving them at the State House
On April 14, 2014, 276 young girls were abducted from the Government Secondary School in Chibok Borno State by the Boko Haram. Fortunately, 57 of the kidnapped school girls were able to escape, leaving 219 in captivity.
The release of the 21 girls followed a series of negotiations between Government and the Boko Haram group, brokered by our friends both local and International. Since this Administration assumed office, we have been working towards the safe release of the girls.
On Wednesday, October 12, the eve of their release, it never occurred to the girls that the freedom they longed for was near.
According to a report on Friday, October 21 by CNN quoting a parent of one of the girls, their abductors simply woke them up early in the morning and got them lined up, then they began to read out the names of the girls one by one.
What followed next was the news that they would be returning home to their loved ones.
The girls were picked up by military helicopter from Banki area of Borno state where Boko Haram militants dropped them off.
The parent, who pleaded anonymity also said that during their time with Boko Haram, the girls were forced to build their own basic shelter, using plastic bags for roofing.
One of the Chibok schoolgirls, who refused to marry a Boko Haram fighter, was told she would be killed. Her abductors had a change of heart and commuted her sentence to 100 lashes.
President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, October 19, who formally received the freed girls and their parents at the State House, Abuja pledged that the federal government would assume full responsibility for their personal,educational and professional goals and ambitions in life.